by Russell Noga | Updated November 26th, 2023
The American healthcare system continues to escalate costs year-on-year, making it challenging for seniors to manage these costs in retirement. Medicare is a federally-funded program providing financial assistance for healthcare expenses to people over 65. While every senior can benefit from Original Medicare, it doesn’t cover all costs, leaving out-of-pocket expenses for beneficiaries.
If you’re enrolled in Medicare Parts A & B, you qualify for a Medicare supplement plan (Medigap). This policy partially or fully covers the remaining out-of-pocket expenses associated with Medicare Parts A & B.
Private healthcare firms sell Medigap plans, and you can sign up during the “Open Enrollment” period in the six months after your 65th birthday. The provider must issue you a plan during this time, even if you have pre-existing health conditions.
This post looks at the Medigap range from Health Net. We’ll unpack the plans, premiums, benefits, and perks available from this insurer.
Compare 2024 Plans & Rates
Enter Zip Code
Health Net Medicare Supplement Plans at a Glance
- Health Net sells Medigap plans in Washington, Oregon, and California.
- Plan premiums are in the higher-cost range.
- Beneficiaries get good perks for hearing and vision with the more expensive plans.
Who Is Health Net?
Founded in 1977, Health Net is a Californian company providing health care insurance products to 50 states and the District of Columbia. However, it focuses its Medigap range on Washington, Oregon, and California.
Health Net was a non-profit organization until 1992 before changing its status to for-profit. The Centene Corporation acquired Health Net in 1992, with Health Net retaining its brand name as a subsidiary.
Health Net has headquarters in Los Angeles, California, and St. Louis, Missouri, and has several subsidiaries selling plans in areas outside Washington, Oregon, and California.
What Medicare Supplement Plans Does Health Net Offer?
Health Net has a good range of Medigap plans, including high-deductible Plan F.
- Plan A – Basic benefits.
- Plan C – Near comprehensive coverage, excluding benefits for the Medicare Part B excess charges.
- Plan F – Comprehensive first-dollar coverage.
- Plan F (HD) – Same Benefits as standard Plan F, but with a higher Part A deductible and lower premiums.
- Plan G – Near comprehensive coverage, doesn’t include a Medicare Part B deductible benefit.
- Plan K – A 50% cost-sharing policy with a $6,940 out-of-pocket limit.
- Plan L – A 75% cost-sharing policy with a $3,470 out-of-pocket limit.
- Plan M – Good benefits for Medicare Part A & B, but only covers 50% of the Medicare Part A deductible.
Health Net Medicare Supplement Plans – Benefits & Coverage
The CMS is a federal agency regulating the Medigap industry. This organization ensures Health Net and all Medigap providers offer standardized benefits in their Medigap plans, bringing consistency to the industry. The benefits you get in a Medigap plan from Health Net are the same as any other Medigap provider.
All Medigap plans offer the following benefits for Original Medicare Parts A & B.
- Part A coinsurance and hospital costs for up to 365 days after using up Medicare benefits.
- Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayment.
- Part B coinsurance or copayment.
- Blood transfusion costs for the first three pints of blood.
Plans F*, G, and N offer additional Medicare Parts A & B benefits.
- Part A deductible.
- Part B excess charges (Plan N doesn’t cover these charges).
- Skilled nursing facility care coinsurance.
- 80% of emergency healthcare costs when traveling outside the US for 60 days. ($250 deductible and $50,000 maximum apply).
- Unlimited coverage for all out-of-pocket costs.
*Plan F is currently being phased out due to its Medicare Part B benefit coverage. This policy is only available to seniors qualifying for Medicare before January 1, 2020. You can apply for a Plan F policy if you’re eligible for Medicare before this date. However, Health Net will require you to undergo a medical underwriting.
If Health Net deems your high risk to its Medigap scheme, they can charge you higher-than-average monthly premiums or deny your application. You might qualify for guaranteed issue rights, allowing you to avoid underwriting. Speak to our team, and we’ll assess your eligibility for guaranteed issue rights.
What Health Net Medicare Supplement Plans Don't Cover
Health Net Medigap plans only cover out-of-pocket medical and hospital expenses covered by Original Medicare. So, you don’t have coverage for cosmetic procedures or preventative treatments. That means there’s no coverage for physiotherapy, acupuncture, podiatry, or chiropractic services.
Sometimes, Medicare will cover these treatments if your doctor deems them medically necessary. There’s no coverage for your prescription or hearing, vision, and dental services. Medigap doesn’t cover private duty nursing services or stays at unskilled nursing facilities.
Health Net Medicare Supplement Plans – Premiums
Health Net uses a risk profile on your age, gender, smoking status, and location in the United States to set your rate for your monthly Medigap premium. Premium costs can vary widely depending on these four factors. Our research shows a 65-year-old female nonsmoker will pay the following rates for Health Net premiums.
*Your premium costs may vary depending on your unique risk profile.
Health Net Medicare Supplement Plans – Additional Benefits & Discounts
Health Net offers the following additional benefits with some Medigap plans.
- Routine hearing exam every 12 months
- Routine eye exam every 12 months
- Up to $250 allowance for contact lenses or eyewear frames and lenses every two years.
- Hearing Aid(s), including fitting evaluation.
- Hearing aid cost shares depending on the technology level.
- Chiropractic and acupuncture sessions with a $0 copay and 20 visits.
- Silver&Fit fitness facility.
Health Net Medicare Supplement Plans – Third-Party Ratings & Reviews
Health Net has a B++ rating with AM Best for its financial strength and an A- rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
Compare 2024 Plans & Rates
Enter Zip Code
Frequently Asked Questions
What are Health Net Medicare Supplement Plans?
Contact Us for a Free Consultation on Medigap Plans
If you have questions about Medicare Supplement plans, call our team at 1-888-891-0229. We offer professional advice on Medigap policies. Our fully licensed agents offer free consultations to give you all the information you need about Medigap. If you want someone to call you back, leave your details on our contact form, and we’ll get a Medigap expert to reach out to you.
Russell Noga is the CEO and Medicare editor of Medisupps.com. His 15 years of experience in the Medicare insurance market includes being a licensed Medicare insurance broker in all 50 states. He is frequently featured as a featured as a keynote Medicare event speaker, has authored hundreds of Medicare content pages, and hosts the very popular Medisupps.com Medicare Youtube channel. His expertise includes Medicare, Medigap insurance, Medicare Advantage plans, and Medicare Part D.