There are 10 different Medicare Supplement plans in California, and they are designated in letters with each plan letter having different benefits.
Here at Medisupps.com, we show you available plans and their rates online to make it easy to compare Medicare Supplement plans in California. We’re here to help!
Compare California Medigap plans
Enter Zip Code
Medicare Supplement plans in California (Medigap plans) are Medicare-approved plans put out by private insurance companies. These plans help pay for certain costs in Medicare Part A and Part B that are not covered.
These costs are things such as deductibles, copays, and coinsurance. Medicare Part B pays for doctor’s services, but only 80%. A Medigap plan in California will help to pay the additional 20% and more.
- Medicare Plan G
- Medicare Plan N
- Medicare Plan F*
- High-Deductible Plan G
- High-deductible Plan F*
*Medicare Plan F is no longer available to people eligible for Medicare on January 1st of 2020 or later
Medicare Supplement Plan G in California
Medicare Supplement Plan G offers the most coverage and is the most popular Medicare Supplement plan in California for people new to Medicare. This is because Plan F is no longer offered to anyone new to Medicare after January 1st of 2020.
Medicare Plan G covers 100% of the expenses that Medicare does not cover, except for the annual Medicare Part B deductible. In 2023 this deductible was $226.
Medicare Plan G Rates in California for 2024
The rates for Medicare Plan G in California average approximately between $118 and $202 per month.
These rates are determined by several factors, such as:
- Tobacco use
- Zip code
- Household discounts (if applicable, vary by company)
Medicare Supplement Plan N in California
Medicare Supplement Plan N is right behind Plan G in popularity due to its fantastic coverage and lower premiums than Medicare Plan G. In exchange for lower premiums, you may have a few out-of-pocket expenses throughout the year.
With Plan N, you pay the annual Medicare Part B deductible just as you do with Plan G. Once that is met, some additional expenses may come up:
- Up to a $20 co-pay for doctor’s visits (telehealth visits don’t apply)
- A $50 co-pay if you visit the emergency room and you’re not admitted (Urgent care visits don’t apply)
- Part B excess charges not covered – Very Rare
Medicare Plan N Rates in California
Using our FREE quote engine you can check the rates and compare the cost between Medicare Plan G and N to see how much you can save.
California Medicare Birthday Rule
If you are a Medicare beneficiary in California and have a Medicare Supplement Insurance plan, you may be familiar with the California Medicare Supplement Birthday Rule.
This unique rule allows you to switch or upgrade your Medicare Supplement plan within 30 days of your birthday, providing an opportunity to reassess your coverage needs and potentially find a better plan.
Understanding the California Medicare Supplement Birthday Rule:
The California Medicare Supplement Birthday Rule is a consumer protection provision that allows Medicare beneficiaries to change their Medicare Supplement plan without going through medical underwriting.
This means that individuals can switch to a different plan or carrier during their birthday month, regardless of their health condition. It offers a valuable opportunity to review your current coverage and explore new options that may better suit your needs.
Benefits of the California Medicare Supplement Birthday Rule:
- Flexibility: The birthday rule provides flexibility to reassess your Medicare Supplement plan annually. As your healthcare needs change over time, this rule allows you to adjust your coverage accordingly.
- No Medical Underwriting: Unlike other times when switching Medicare Supplement plans may require medical underwriting, the birthday rule ensures that you can switch plans without facing health-related questions or potential coverage limitations due to pre-existing conditions.
- Potential Cost Savings: By taking advantage of the birthday rule, you can explore new plans that may offer better benefits or more competitive pricing. This gives you an opportunity to save money while maintaining comprehensive coverage.
Navigating the California Medicare Supplement Birthday Rule:
- Review Your Current Plan: Start by assessing your current Medicare Supplement plan and identifying any gaps or areas where you require additional coverage.
- Research Available Options: Utilize online resources, consult with insurance agents, and compare different Medicare Supplement plans offered by various insurance carriers. Consider factors such as coverage benefits, premiums, customer reviews, and the financial stability of the insurance company.
- Apply Within the 30-Day Window: To take advantage of the birthday rule, ensure you apply for a new Medicare Supplement plan within 30 days of your birthday. Contact the new insurance carrier directly or work with an insurance agent who can guide you through the application process.
- Understand Plan Changes: Before making a switch, carefully review the benefits, premiums, and any changes in coverage that come with the new Medicare Supplement plan. Ensure that the new plan meets your specific healthcare needs.
The California Medicare Supplement Birthday Rule empowers Medicare beneficiaries in the state to reevaluate their coverage options and make changes to their Medicare Supplement plans during their birthday month.
By utilizing this rule, you can explore different plans, potentially find better coverage, and ensure that your healthcare needs are adequately met.
Take advantage of this opportunity to make informed decisions about your Medicare Supplement coverage and secure the plan that best suits your evolving needs.
Remember to research, compare, and apply within the designated timeframe to leverage the benefits of the California Medicare Supplement Birthday Rule.
Compare Medigap Plans & Rates
Enter Zip Code
Medicare Supplement Plans in California 2024
There are no changes in benefits to California Medicare supplement plans in 2024.
If you’ve been with the same Medicare Supplement insurance company for 2 years or more you could be overpaying by a large amount. This is because rate increases happen each year. We watch the rates each year for you so you don’t have to!
Using our website you can check the rates for FREE and see if you’re currently paying too much.
Best Medicare Supplement Plans in CA
When it comes down to it, the “best” Medicare supplement plan is the one that you’re comfortable with in terms of benefits and monthly premium.
Medicare Plan G – One low deductible, then 100% coverage. Higher premiums than Plan N
Medicare Plan N – Lower monthly premiums, small out-of-pocket costs such as co-pays, and possibly Medicare Part B excess charges (rare though)
By using our website you can check the cost between Plan G and Plan N in your area to see how much you can save.
Companies Offering Medicare Supplement Plans in California
There are several companies in California offering Medigap plans. The most important thing to keep in mind is that they all offer the same plans, with the exact same benefits. Their monthly rates for these plans are all different though.
And, each company has rate increases every year.
We make it easy as we shop all the top companies to make sure you’re not overpaying on your Medicare supplement insurance, and we do this every year for our clients for FREE.
How to Enroll
The easiest way to enroll in a Medicare supplement plan in California is to just give us a call at 1-888-891-0229. Our experienced, licensed agents can answer all of your questions and find you the best Medigap plan and company, for the lowest cost.
We’ll help you every year to make sure you’re in the right spot with all of your Medicare Coverage. Click below to get started.
Russell Noga is the CEO of Medisupps.com, an online Medicare Agency and resource center helping Medicare beneficiaries learn about Medicare, Medigap and Part D drug plans, and Medicare Advantage plans since 2009. Russell is licensed in all 50 states and has been featured as a keynote speaker, and author of several publications, along with hosting the very popular Medisupps.com Youtube channel.