Medicare Advantage plans are an alternative way to get coverage of Medicare Part A and B. In fact, these plans must provide at least the same coverage as Original Medicare, but some plans may include additional benefits.
Medicare Advantage plans (Also called Medicare Part C) are offered by many different Medicare-approved private insurance carriers, and are different in benefits and cost depending on which company offers them.
Medicare Advantge Plans may include:
- Dental & Vision coverage
- Prescription drug coverage
- Gym membership
- Health and Wellness programs
- Hearing benefits
*Benefits vary by plan, company, and area and are not guaranteed
Medicare Advantge Plans - PROS and CONS
Medicare Advantage plans are completely different than Medicare Supplement plans.
Most people are completely uninformed about the details of their Medicare Advantage plan, mostly due to expensive marketing on TV and agents who sign them up without educating people.
Why these plans have their uses, there are very important things you need to consider before enrolling in a Medicare Advantage plan.
Medicare Advantage Plans
- Use networks – with HMOs you must stay within the network to get coverage unless in an emergency
- PPOs allow you to get coverage outside your network, typically at a much higher cost
- You must be sure your doctors are in the plan’s network. Doctors can leave your network if they choose, leaving you to find another doctor
- Doctors need to get prior authorization for various procedures and tests. This means the cover can be DENIED
- There is an out-of-pocket maximum that each plan can charge up to each year. This can leave you with thousands in extra medical bills that no one told you you would have to pay
- No network – Visit any doctor, specialist, or hospital in the country as long as they accept Medicare
- No prior authorization is ever needed
- Claims are never denied – If Medicare pays first, the Medigap plan must pay
- Low out-of-pocket costs
How to Choose?
Our licensed experienced agents can help answer your questions about Medicare Advantage plans, Medigap plans, and Medicare Part D prescription drug plans.
Finding the right plan is an important decision, but finding the right agent and agencies to work with is even more important.
We help our clients find the right plan to fit their needs every year to make sure they’re always in the best spot possible.
Call us today for help!