Is Rituxan Covered by Medicare Part B?

Compare affordable Medicare Plans

Russell Noga
by Russell Noga | Updated January 30th, 2024

If you’re asking ‘is Rituxan covered by Medicare Part B’, the answer is typically yes, with Medicare Part B covering 80% of the medication’s cost for approved conditions. Patients are responsible for the other 20%, after meeting the Part B deductible. This article will further detail the coverage requirements, explore the associated costs, and introduce strategies to minimize your out-of-pocket expenses for Rituxan therapy.

Key Takeaways

  • Medicare Part B covers 80% of the cost of Rituxan for medically necessary treatments for certain types of cancer and autoimmune diseases, with patients responsible for the remaining 20% and any applicable deductibles.
  • Medicare Advantage plans may differ in coverage and cost-sharing for Rituxan compared to Medicare Part B, and it’s essential to review individual plan details to determine the extent of coverage and out-of-pocket expenses.
  • Financial assistance programs and patient assistance options, such as the Rituxan Immunology Co-pay Program, exist to help eligible patients reduce their out-of-pocket costs for Rituxan therapy.

 

Compare 2024 Plans & Rates

Enter Zip Code

Rituxan and Medicare Part B: Exploring the Basics

Rituxan and Medicare Part B Exploring the Basics
Rituxan, a drug utilized to treat certain types of cancer and autoimmune diseases, falls under the coverage of Medicare Part B. However, it’s worth noting that Medicare Part B only covers 80% of Rituxan’s cost, leaving the patient to shoulder the remaining 20%.

Therefore, if you are a patient pondering Rituxan, it’s imperative to consult with your Medicare plan provider to obtain up to date information on 2022 coverage specifics, as well as other services.

How Medicare Part B Covers Rituxan

You might be wondering: under what circumstances does Medicare Part B provide coverage for Rituxan? This coverage applies specifically to the treatment of certain types of cancer, such as Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, and autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis. The coverage is based on medical necessity as determined by a physician and the patient’s insurance plan.

Specific coverage requirements are detailed in the Local Coverage Determination (LCD), which stipulates that the biologic medication and durable medical equipment must be necessary for treating certain cancers and autoimmune diseases.

Eligible Conditions for Coverage

Medicare Part B coverage for Rituxan treatment extends to a select few diseases, including chronic lymphocytic leukemia and Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. For these conditions, Medicare Part B typically provides coverage, contingent upon medical necessity as determined by a physician.

Furthermore, patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis can also benefit from Medicare Part B’s coverage for Rituxan. The coverage applies to all stages or severity levels of these conditions, without any specific limitations.

Limitations and Requirements

While Medicare Part B provides coverage for Rituxan, it’s important to note that there are certain limitations and requirements. For instance, the patient is accountable for covering the remaining 20% of the cost of Rituxan under Medicare Part B. Additionally, beneficiaries should get in touch with their Medicare plan to ascertain their specific coverage for Rituxan.

The Cost of Rituxan under Medicare Part B

 
The Cost of Rituxan under Medicare Part B
 
Grasping the cost of Rituxan under Medicare Part B is of utmost importance. To start, Medicare Part B covers 80% of Rituxan costs, leaving patients with the responsibility of the remaining 20%. Following Medicare Part B’s coverage, patients typically need to pay the remaining 20% and fulfill the Medicare Part B deductible.

To minimize the burden of drug costs and drug spending at the doctor’s office, patients can look into patient assistance programs and other cost-saving strategies.
 

Understanding the 80% Coverage Rule

The 80% coverage rule under Medicare Part B indicates that Medicare shoulders 80% of costs for medically necessary services, with the patient being responsible for the outstanding 20% as coinsurance. This coverage applies to Rituxan when a physician deems the medication medically necessary for the treatment of specific cancers and autoimmune diseases.

Once the Part B deductible has been fulfilled, Medicare Part B provides coverage for 80% of the expenses associated with Rituxan. The percentage costs for Rituxan under Medicare Part B are determined by applying a 20% coinsurance rate for in-network chemotherapy services.
 

Additional Costs to Consider

Apart from the 80% coverage, patients must also take into account extra costs. Under Medicare Part B, eligible beneficiaries are responsible for paying 20% coinsurance of the cost of Rituxan once the Medicare Part B deductible is met. The typical copayment for Rituxan under Medicare Part B is 20% of the cost, applicable after the beneficiary has fulfilled the Medicare Part B deductible.

Medicare Advantage enrollees should be mindful of potential hidden costs, as some individuals may be responsible for an average cost-sharing liability of $4,600 for Rituxan under Medicare Part B.

 

Strategies to Reduce Out-of-Pocket Expenses

Even with the high costs, numerous strategies exist to cut down expenses related to Rituxan prescriptions. This includes:

  • Investigating patient assistance programs
  • Implementing other cost-saving strategies
  • Supplemental insurance can also help decrease out-of-pocket costs for Rituxan treatment by providing financial assistance options.

Enrollment in prescription drug assistance programs, such as the Rituxan Immunology Co-pay Program, can lead to decreased costs for individuals in need of Rituxan. Pharmacies also provide financial assistance options and offer a variety of comprehensive strategies designed to minimize the out-of-pocket expenses related to Rituxan treatment.

 

 

book appointment

Compare Medicare Plans & Rates in Your Area

Get the latest prices from all the top carriers

Comparing Medicare Part B and Part D Coverage for Rituxan

 
Comparing Medicare Part B and Part D Coverage for Rituxan
 

Although Medicare Part B covers Rituxan, it’s advisable to consider Medicare Part D as it might be a more suitable option in some cases. Factors like the associated costs and coverage differences between the two should be taken into account.

Furthermore, patients are advised to carefully examine their individual prescription drug plans under Medicare Part D to ascertain the scope of Rituxan coverage, as this may differ from plan to plan.
 

When Part D May Be a Better Choice

Medicare Part D plans may provide more extensive coverage for Rituxan and potentially reduce out-of-pocket expenses compared to Medicare Part B. Medicare Part D could be a more suitable choice for covering Rituxan if the medication is not considered medically necessary by Medicare Part B or if it is not covered by Part B at all.
 

Factors to Consider in Choosing Coverage

When deciding between Medicare Part B and Part D for Rituxan coverage, it is important to:

  1. Verify if Rituxan is listed in the formulary of Part D drug plans.
  2. Ascertain if Rituxan is considered medically necessary by a physician for coverage under Medicare Part B.
  3. Evaluate the coverage provided by Medicare Part B.

Thus, Rituxan is usually covered by Medicare Part B if it is determined to be medically necessary by a physician, and as for Medicare Part D, coverage is contingent on the inclusion of Rituxan in the plan’s formulary.
 

Navigating the Complexities of Medicare Drug Coverage

Understanding the complexities of Medicare drug coverage for Rituxan is crucial. Medicare Part B provides coverage for Rituxan if it is deemed medically necessary by a physician, and Medicare Advantage plans are obligated to provide coverage for all medically necessary drugs that are included in Original Medicare coverage.

Medicare Advantage beneficiaries who are prescribed Rituxan may encounter an average cost-sharing responsibility of $4,600, calculated based on a 20% coinsurance rate for in-network chemotherapy.

Medicare Advantage Plans and Rituxan Coverage

 
Medicare Advantage Plans and Rituxan Coverage
 

Medicare Advantage plans might serve as a feasible alternative for Rituxan coverage. While Original Medicare does not provide coverage for certain benefits such as eye exams and most dental care, Medicare Advantage plan enrollees may encounter an average cost-sharing responsibility of $4,600 for Rituxan.

To choose the right plan for your needs, you should consider whether the plan includes Rituxan as a medically necessary medication and assess the cost-sharing obligations associated with the plan. However, Medicare Advantage plans may have a restricted provider network and necessitate referrals for specialized care.
 

Comparing Medicare Advantage Plans

Medicare Advantage plans typically provide coverage for Rituxan if it is included in Medicare Part B and considered medically necessary by a physician. However, there may be variations in cost-sharing when compared to traditional Medicare. Differences in cost-sharing structures, out-of-pocket expenses, and provider networks among different plans may also exist.

Therefore, if Rituxan is deemed medically necessary by a physician for approved conditions, it should be covered thoroughly. Patients should carefully review the benefits of individual plans to identify the most comprehensive coverage for Rituxan.
 

Finding the Right Plan for Your Needs

When choosing a Medicare Advantage Plan for Rituxan coverage, it is crucial to consider the following:

  • Does the plan include Rituxan in its formulary?
  • Does the plan offer coverage for prescription drugs?
  • What is the cost of these drugs?
  • Are your preferred healthcare providers and pharmacies in-network?

Indeed, the specific health insurance plan you select can determine the extent of coverage and the terms of cost-sharing.

Copay amounts, coinsurance, and deductible requirements can have a substantial influence on the cost of Rituxan under Medicare Advantage Plans.
 

Weighing the Pros and Cons of Medicare Advantage

Medicare Advantage plans are required to provide coverage for Rituxan if it is determined to be medically necessary by a physician, in a manner similar to traditional Medicare Part B. However, Medicare Advantage plans for Rituxan coverage may present disadvantages including increased out-of-pocket expenses, restricted coverage for out-of-network providers, and a limited selection of providers.

Despite these potential drawbacks, Medicare Advantage plans, which are part of the Medicare program, have generally received positive satisfaction scores, with beneficiaries providing high ratings for trust, ease of doing business, and overall satisfaction.

Financial Assistance Programs for Rituxan Patients

 
Financial Assistance Programs for Rituxan Patients
 
For patients in need of financial support to cover the cost of Rituxan or assistance in understanding their insurance coverage, various financial assistance programs have been designed to help Rituxan patients. The eligibility requirements for Rituxan patient assistance programs generally involve being 18 years of age or older, living in the United States or U.S. Territories, and having a prescription for Rituxan for an FDA-approved purpose.

To minimize the burden of these costs, patients can look into patient assistance programs and other cost-saving strategies.
 

Eligibility Criteria and Application Process

Patients can explore financial assistance programs for Rituxan either by leveraging the financial assistance tool on Rituxan’s official website or by reaching out to their helpline at 866-4ACCESS. Furthermore, eligible patients can access various patient assistance options through the Rituxan Immunology Access program, irrespective of their insurance status. The necessary documents needed for the application process include the Patient Consent Form, the Prescriber Foundation Form, and patient information such as full name, date of birth, mailing address, email, phone number, and insurance details.

The standard processing timeframe for applications for financial assistance programs for Rituxan may vary but typically falls within the range of 24 to 72 hours from the receipt of the application.
 

Maximizing Your Savings with Financial Assistance

By leveraging financial assistance programs, like the RITUXAN Immunology Co-pay Program, patients can substantially decrease their out-of-pocket expenses for Rituxan treatments. Patients can optimize their savings by utilizing the financial assistance resources offered by Rituxan and keeping in mind that the maximum benefits reset on January 1st annually.

The RITUXAN Immunology Co-pay Program provides eligible patients with commercial insurance the opportunity to pay as little as $5 per 30-day supply of Rituxan, thereby covering up to $15,000 in co-pay or co-insurance per calendar year.
 

Additional Resources for Support

Financial assistance plays a crucial role for patients who have been prescribed Rituxan, as it aids in managing the frequently substantial expenses linked to the treatment, thereby guaranteeing that patients can obtain the essential medication. Patients in search of financial aid for Rituxan have the option to utilize the financial assistance tool on the Rituxan website or contact 866-4ACCESS to explore potential support options.

There is also a co-pay assistance program that offers up to $25,000 per calendar year for patients using RITUXAN HYCELA.

Communicating with Your Healthcare Provider about Rituxan and Medicare

Before initiating a discussion about Rituxan, it’s recommended to:

  • Go through the Rituxan Medication Guide prior to each infusion
  • Prepare a list of questions
  • Consult your doctor or nurse about your medication
  • Utilize the checklist provided by RITUXAN to help ensure readiness for your infusion.

It is important to consider key questions such as:

  • Am I a suitable candidate for Rituxan therapy?
  • What are the risks and potential side effects?
  • Where can I access information about financing my Rituxan therapy?
  • Am I fit enough for Rituxan in combination with FC chemotherapy?

In order to guarantee optimal care, it is advisable to engage in a discussion with your healthcare provider regarding the suitability of Rituxan for your specific condition.
 

Preparing for the Conversation

To be well-prepared for a conversation about Rituxan with your healthcare provider, it’s suggested to create a list of questions before your appointment. Prior to discussing Rituxan with your healthcare provider, it is important to be mindful of its potential serious side effects, such as:

  • infusion-related reactions
  • severe skin reactions
  • progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML)
  • hepatitis B virus (HBV) reactivation
  • serious infections

Thus, Rituxan may be covered by certain Medicare plans. Typically, Medicare Part B provides coverage for Rituxan when it is considered medically necessary by a physician and administered by a healthcare provider. It is advisable to communicate your concerns about Rituxan and Medicare coverage to your doctor during your scheduled appointment.
 

Key Questions to Ask Your Doctor

Eligibility for Rituxan therapy hinges on multiple factors, including your medical conditions. Your doctor will assess whether Rituxan is suitable for your treatment plan. Rituxan is associated with possible side effects such as infusion-related reactions, severe skin and mouth reactions, or symptoms of hepatitis B virus (HBV) reactivation. It is important to consult your doctor about any discomfort and serious side effects for your well-being.

Rituxan may be covered by Medicare based on specific conditions, and there may be associated costs such as co-payments or deductibles. It is advisable to consult your doctor for information on coverage and to explore available resources for payment options. The dosage consists of two-1,000 mg intravenous infusions, with a 2-week interval between each infusion.

 

Ensuring You Receive the Best Possible Care

It is advisable to engage in a thorough conversation with your physician about your Rituxan Medicare coverage to ascertain its cost-effectiveness and suitability for your specific condition. Patients receiving Rituxan under Medicare coverage can advocate for their healthcare needs by exploring financial assistance programs provided by Rituxan’s manufacturer or other relevant organizations.

Summary

In conclusion, understanding the nuances of Medicare Part B coverage for Rituxan is essential to manage your healthcare effectively. From understanding the basics of coverage to comparing Medicare Advantage plans and exploring financial assistance programs, being well-informed empowers you to make the best decisions for your healthcare needs. Remember, the first step towards optimal healthcare is open communication with your healthcare provider. Don’t hesitate to ask questions and advocate for the best possible care.

Compare 2024 Plans & Rates

Enter Zip Code

Frequently Asked Questions

Does Medicare Part B cover infusions?

Yes, Medicare Part B covers infusions, including drugs infused through durable medical equipment and certain drugs infused in the home, if administered using a Part B-covered infusion pump. Services like nurse visits, training, and monitoring are also covered under Part B.

 

How much does Rituxan cost without insurance?

The cost of Rituxan without insurance varies based on the dosage and treatment plan. The price may be significant and it’s crucial to explore options for financial assistance.

 

What type of treatment is not covered under Medicare Part B?

Medicare Part B does not cover certain services such as long-term care, dental care, routine eye exams, and cosmetic surgery. Additionally, services for daily living activities like bathing and dressing are also not covered.

 

What drugs are covered by Medicare Part D?

Medicare Part D covers a range of medications including HIV/AIDS treatments, antidepressants, antipsychotic medications, anticonvulsive treatments, immunosuppressant drugs, and anticancer medications (unless covered by Part B). These are just some examples of the medications covered under Medicare Part D.

 

Speak to the Professionals about Medigap Plans and Original Medicare

If you find understanding the benefits involved with Original Medicare and Medigap Plans challenging, you’re not alone. Whether it’s a Medigap plan, or you want to know more about Medicare coverage for Rituxan, we can help. Call our team at 1-888-891-0229 for a free consultation or complete the contact form on this site, and an expert will call you back at a convenient time.

We have decades of experience advising our clients on the complexities of Medicare and Medigap plans, the benefits, cost and deductibles. We’ll ensure you get the best rate in your state and advice you can trust.

Medicare Supplement Plan G Rates